Sunday, May 5, 2013

Hearts Are Floating For...Dinner - San Francisco Style

Last week, I was fortunate enough to travel to San Francisco on a business trip. I fell in love with the city which to me is a mixture of the quaintness of Boston with the laid-back, easy vibe only found in California. It is also a city filled with amazing food...much of it prepared with fresh, organic ingredients. I was there for four nights and was able to experience some of the top restaurants in a variety of cuisines. Each was amazing and I would definitely recommend if you are ever in the Bay Area!

Night #1 - The Slanted Door


This is Vietnamese food at its finest with a beautiful view of the Bay Bridge. Make a reservation weeks in advance as this is not a restaurant you can walk into without notice. We gorged ourselves on oysters, yellowtail, slanted door spring rolls, barbecued willis ranch pork spareribs, green papaya salad, grass-fed estancia shaking beef, stir fried organic chicken, caramelized wild gulf shrimp, and chue farm sugar snap peas.  

Night #2 - Dosa 


Dosa serves up South Indian cuisine using organic and sustainable ingredients. But the real star of the show is the drinks. The Bengali Gimlet and I became fast friends (Tanqueray Rangpur Gin, curried nectar, lime juice, served up). The other must-have: the classic masala dosa...an enormous crepe-like dish that is perfect for sharing.

Night #3 - Foreign Cinema


Hands down one of my favorite restaurants of all time. I was in love the second I stepped into the outdoor courtyard with white lights strung above and a documentary playing against a white, brick wall. If the atmosphere wasn't enough, the food was even better...an extensive oyster bar where I sampled a variety of west coast options, ahi tuna, and a halibut dish that was so good I had to restrain myself from licking my plate. And to top it off, Valrhona chocolate pot de creme with caramel popcorn 

Night #4 - Gott's Roadside


The last night I was on my own for dinner so I chose Gott's Roadside, a casual and iconic gourmet burger stand. All the reviews I read raved about the Ahi Tuna Burger so I had to see for myself...and they were right. Paired with garlic fries and a glass of wine, it was the perfect way to end my trip.


Patiently waiting for my food.


The Embarcadero - Outside of The Slanted Door and Gott's

* Photos of Nights #1-3 taken from restaurant websites. Gott's photos belong to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment